When you are looking for ways to create the perfect backyard often times we let our dreams of our ideal space be fall to the wayside. Homeowners need to realize that what makes their version of the perfect outdoor living space right for them comes from within. No two people view the idea of outdoor living the same way, that being said we specialize in customizing your dreams to suit your desired function within that space, the area you have available to create your space and your budget.
We have compiled a list of the top 10 ways to create that outdoor oasis you have been dreaming of. This list will help provide ideas and insight into how you can make your outdoor oasis a reality.
Top 10 ways to create an outdoor oasis
1) Pick you own personal style – create a backyard that flows with style. Create everything from formal by using columns and classic lines, to more modern by using curvilinear edges on your patio or deck edge, sticking to monochromatic color palettes and even introducing metal into the mix. If you can’t decide on just one style, then you can use a combination of well-chosen elements for an eclectic unique look.
2) Embrace textures – this maybe the most crucial design element that is often overlooked when building an outdoor living structure. By mixing wood, composite, stone and other hardscape materials together within your design, you create a feast for the senses. Combining a hardwood deck in combination with a flagstone patio will leave you with a space that begs to be lingered in. On a simpler note, even adding a pergola of rough-hewn cedar in conjunction with a hardscape feature will provide the same stunning contrast.
3) Be creative – outdoor living design is not black and white. There are no set rules, so go ahead and think outside the box. Employ the use of unexpected design opportunities to add visual interest. From adding a seating wall around your fire pit to placing deck lighting in an unusual spot to create ambiance, these details make the difference. A little creativity goes a long way.
4) Work with what you have – take a good look at your backyard and cultivate your outdoor living space with ingenuity. Mature trees, a spectacular view, or the slope of your yard can all be used to your advantage to get the most function and enjoyment out of your outdoor structure design.
5) Live outdoors and still have privacy– by designing your backyard with intimacy in mind; you can still have a highly functional outdoor space that offers privacy. Retaining walls and privacy walls are a great asset to your space and add a way to keep prying eyes away. This can also be achieved through landscaping methods, such as borders that can add color and lush foliage to your space too.
6) Choose your function – in order to get the most from your space, it is important to decide what you want the primary use of your space to be. Entertaining, cooking and dining, relaxing and even a need for a shaded area are viable reasons to choose one structure over another. If you intend to use your space for multiple functions then a design that includes multiple outdoor areas that offers separate designated functions may be your best choice.
7) Borrow upon the elements of nature – the 5 elements of nature are water, metal, earth, wood and fire. By using one or more of these elements in your outdoor space you will create an atmosphere that blends with your backyard. An outdoor fireplace or fire pit adds an intoxicating feel to any outdoor design. The flame, the sound and the warmth bring out some primitive instinct that makes us want to be near it. Water plays on our senses in much the same manner. By adding a water feature such as a rock waterfall into your outdoor space, you will hear the soothing sounds of moving water on a regular basis which relax and renew.
8) Decide the amount of maintenance your material choices will require– many times homeowners convey their wishes to use certain materials without realizing the amount of maintenance their structure will require. For example an Ipe or Tigerwood deck requires annual maintenance, and sometimes more frequent in certain climates, to keep the wood looking new. In order to maintain your structure to get optimum results, it is important to decide the amount of time you are willing to put forth to maintain your investment. Many of the materials we have available require little or no maintenance and will remain looking new for many years to come.
9) Create an outdoor room – screen porches, covered patios and 3 season rooms can now be treated as an outdoor room with all the functionality and creature comforts that an interior living room can provide. Outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, ceiling fans, outdoor televisions, recessed lighting and plenty of electrical outlets are some of the many options available in outdoor structure design. The hardest part is deciding what you want to include in your space.
10) The details make the difference– an outdoor structure without decorative accents or outdoor furnishings that individualize it is just an empty shell without character or personalization. By choosing furnishings that offer comfort and style to your space you will want to use it more often, and so will others. A comfy outdoor sofa with overstuffed cushions will create a place that you will never want to leave. The small touches that put the icing on the cake are the decorative touches like planters placed on your new deck stuffed with beautiful foliage and blooms, or maybe a reclaimed architectural piece placed as a focal point; these things are the glue that binds the perfect outdoor oasis together.
Whether you are ready for a new deck, yearning for a quiet spot to keep the sun off of you so you can read in the garden, or are ready to transform your entire backyard with an outdoor living combination structure, we can make it happen. Outdoor living is all about fun, friends and family; to us outdoor living is personal. Contact Archadeck of Austin to learn what the stuff of dreams are made of.
Call for a free consultation: (512) 259 – 8282
See more inspiring images of other outdoor living areas by visiting our shade gallery, outdoor living gallery and patio and hardscapes gallery located on our website.
We always welcome the opportunity to be able to work hand in hand with a skilled architect. We welcome the opportunity to work with customers whose architect developed a plan for their outdoor living space. However, often, the homeowner will bring in the landscaping plan which was drawn up by their landscape architect and based on this Archadeck of Austin incorporates an outdoor living space to fit in with their landscaping. The dilemma with this is that it is best to design the outdoor structure first and then customize the landscaping to fit in with the structure’s style and dimensions as well as that of the existing home.
In the case of this homeowner, they came to us while they were still in process with another contractor that had left them frustrated because of the number of mistakes they were seeing. These homeowners brought their architect’s design to the table along with the confidence that we could turn this project into something they could be proud of.
When we received their architect’s design, we put it through our standards and structural warranty design process that Archadeck of Austin does with all it’s plans and also drew a set of plans that fit our criteria for loading and other structural aspects.
The structure Archadeck of Austin is building for these homeowners is a 1,000 square foot Tigerwood deck. It will have a roof over the dining area portion which is right off the homes master bedroom. The deck will also have a cooking area on the other end. There is a split level staircase. There will be a roof structure that will be over the dining area and a shade structure over the entire remainder of the deck. The shade structure is quite unique in that it uses a truss system of framing in order to maintain the size of the structure using minimal posts. The most unique feature of this deck is that when most people build a deck, you don’t want to see any framing that is visible, on this deck the details of the framing will be one of the main focal points of the structure. We are using large 8 x 8 beams, opposed to the usual 6 x 6 that are commonly used. The beams are made of Douglas Fir and all the framing is oversized to take on a personality of its own to accentuate the entire structure. The beams are kept from actually touching the ground by the addition of custom-made steel. The structure will use a bullwire railing system to maximize the view. The deck will have a beautiful non-obtrusive view of a canyon.
The homeowners’ desire is for an architectural look that also has the characteristics of age-old craftsmanship. In most cases a structure can either possess architectural quality or functional quality, this structure will have both.The beauty of the framing system in itself, alone is worth talking about. Great architecture like this feeds great living. When you have a home that is well designed and well-built by an experienced builder, you live well in it. Where there are focal details and striking architectural beauty, it makes you living experience even better. Adversely, the same is true. When you have a detail that you just aren’t happy with, these small elements can detract from your living experience. This is why it is so crucial to start with great architecture and design, it can make a world of difference in the way you think, feel and live day-to-day.
If you have an architect’s drawing already done in anticipation of building your outdoor structure Archadeck of Austin can turn that rendering into a reality. Even if you don’t have an architects drawing, our talented design team can create a drawing and rendering and plans based on what you have in mind. We are a full service outdoor structure company that can consult, design, plan and build the outdoor structure of your dreams. Contact Archadeck of Austin to learn more (512) 259-8282 email@example.com
See more gorgeous Tigerwood decks built by Archadeck of Austin by visiting our photo galleries at http://www.archadeck-austin.com /gallery.asp?selpics=Decks&subcat=Tigerwood
It is clearly evident that style and elegance can be contagious. Within the Falcon Head West community of Bee Cave, TX nearly all the residents that live in the same cul-de-sac came down with the same symptoms, a yearning for the simple, elegant and classic sensibility which entails the desire to have a deck made of Tigerwood.
These homeowners in Bee Cave, TX contacted Archadeck of Austin when they initially built their home and once they closed on the house we began work right away on the deck when they moved in. It is always nice to have your entire home ready and waiting when it is time to move into your new house, including any outdoor structures. The Falcon Head West community is an upscale neighborhood in Bee Cave, TX and has a very hilly terrain. These homeowners decided upon a tigerwood deck because of its classic beauty and sensibility. We built a two-story deck and decked over an existing patio with sleeper framing. The final dimensions in length on this new deck came to a substantial 48′ long.
We installed the decking in a stunning diagonal pattern and alternated 4″ and 6″ boards for even more of a custom look to accommodate the varying widths. The railing is a tigerwood Deckorator panel rail which we constructed on site with black aluminum pickets. We finished up the structure with lattice skirting because this is a requirement within the neighborhoods HOA (Home Owners Association) guidelines. The homeowner opted to stain the new deck himself.
Upon completion of the new deck, four of this homeowners neighbors decided to add a tigerwood deck to their home as well. What is it they say about first impressions? Choosing a tigerwood deck not only adds beauty to your home with the woods natural rich and exotic hues, tigerwood is an example of classic fine wood at it’s best.
If you are considering a new deck or a re-deck, tigerwood is a stunning option. It is durable, resilient and has rich hues that exude elegance and refinement. Contact Archadeck of Austin to learn more about decks and other outdoor living structures. Call us at (512) 259-8282 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can see more or our breathtaking tigerwood deck designs by visiting our photo gallery at http://www.archadeck-austin.com/gallery.asp?selpics=Decks&subcat=Tigerwood
Here at Archadeck of Austin we receive calls from homeowners wondering if they can re-deck their existing deck. There are many reasons why homeowners want to re-deck. Sometimes it is because their existing decking is splitting, warping, discolored and showing signs of damage, but in some cases it is just because they want to change the look of their outdoor space and let the deck serve a new purpose. In some cases even if your decking boards are in bad shape your foundation itself can still be in good shape. Whatever the reason for wanting to re-deck may be Archadeck of Austin has limitless choices and designs to suit any taste with superb materials to boot.
When it comes to thinking about re-decking, one word comes to mind – composites. Today’s composites have come a long way. The early plastic looking composites are a thing of the past. Composites are extremely low maintenance and worry free. They will not rot or warp. Composites also have unsurpassed mildew and mold resistance as well as resistance to insects and fungi. Composites won’t ever need to be stained or stripped and are easy to wash, just a little soap and water and they are good as new. Composites also carry some of the longest warranties on their decking boards within the industry. There is something else that seems almost too good to be true when it comes to today’s composites as well and that is their beauty. Technology has taken the look of composites to a whole new level with rich wood tones and graining that looks so realistic it leaves you questioning if it is real wood.
Can you tell which one of these is the Fiberon Horizon Ipe composite and which one is real Tigerwood?
We recently completed a re-decking for a wonderful retired couple in Leander, TX. who had an existing wood deck that was a little worse for wear. The deck was grayed out, faded, decayed, rotting and was behind on maintenance. They decided to take a look into re-decking with composite so they would not have to worry about maintenance.
We met with the couple and did an inspection of the deck. The frame of the deck was completely structurally sound and suitable for re-decking. We re-decked the structure with TimberTech Twin Finish in the redwood color and used a combed surface composite that carried a bit of red tine through it, to simulate the look of real wood. We also built planters and benches to open up the view of the yard so the couple would not feel as if they were boxed in.
The final results of this composite re-deck are breathtaking. The homeowners said ” it made the whole house feel cleaner and lighter”. Not only do they get the beauty of a composite deck to enjoy every day, they no longer have to worry about laborious maintenance. They now have more time to enjoy their backyard, and their retirement.
If you are considering re-decking your existing deck, consider composites. I am sure you will be impressed and elated all at the same time. Contact Archadeck of Austin to find out more about composites or any other outdoor structure you are considering. Call (512) 259-8282 or email us at email@example.com
Old man Webster defines a tiger as a large, carnivorous, tawny-colored and black-striped feline. The definition of wood is the hard, fibrous substance composing the stem and branches of a tree or shrub. Now what do you think you get when you mix the two together? The result is Tigerwood, astronium lecointel, one of the finest quality hardwoods available.
Tigerwood is an exotic and extremely durable Brazilian hardwood. One of the most striking features of this wood is the unique golden-brown to reddish-brown coloring with exotic black and brown streaks, as fiercely beautiful as it’s namesake. Over time these hues will deepen adding warmth and more depth to the coloring.
Not only coveted for it’s beauty, Tigerwood is naturally resistant to rot and decay. It also will not attract mold or fungus. This wonderfully resilient wood has a lifespan of over 25 years without preservatives. Archadeck of Austin is proud to be able to offer this product to you for your decking and outdoor structure needs. We have been working with this wonderful Brazilian hardwood for sometime now, with great results. We only see close similarities in working with Tigerwood as we do when we use Ipe. We are also excited about this product because of the “green” aspect of the harvesting.
Tigerwood is only harvested from responsibly managed forests so we can offer a truly renewable resource to you, the consumer.
Each year owners from Archadeck’s around the country, now numbering 58 locations, assemble for a national conference. One of the exciting things we do is have a design contest.
Design consultants from offices across the country enter their best projects for decks and porches , which were scrutinized by the toughest judges we know – our peers. The Austin Team has been the recipient of many of these awards in years past and this year was no exception. We took first place on the deck design with a beautiful 3-level composite deck with Fiberon Ipe decking and stucco skirting to perfectly match the house exterior.
No project is worth its salt if it does not look like an original part of the home. The Austin Team strives to make this a reality in every job we undertake. When finished, this deck provided the owners with additional living space that opened up a lovely back yard view, bringing the outdoors in as a significant addition to their living space. Who wouldn’t enjoy relaxing in some cushy outdoor furniture, drinking a cool beverage, at the end of a hectic day?
This is proof positive that design excellence is forefront in our mind. Our customers get a beautifully crafted, custom designed outdoor living space; professionally managed with a superior level of customer service, and backed by a strong warranty. For Archadeck of Austin, it’s all about making design a reality and making that lifestyle you want come true.
Like what you see? Give us a call and we will be glad to meet you for a free consultation to discuss your design ideas. Contact us at:
More pictures of our winning designs: