Northwest Austin Homeowners Are Thrilled with Screened Porch Vision Fulfilled!
Planning ahead can be quite rewarding and smart, too, when it comes to adding more than one outdoor living structure to your home. These savvy homeowners in Northwest Austin near Round Rock, TX, knew they would eventually add a screen porch to the back of their home. It was part of their vision for the home.
First, they added a patio outside their back door – a beautiful, half-moon-shaped, flagstone patio. They made certain the patio was designed to meet the structural requirements to support a future screened porch addition.
From Patio to Screened Porch + Patio = Hurray!
When they were ready to add their much-anticipated screened porch, the homeowners called Austin screened porch designer Archadeck of Austin to do the job. They wanted the new porch positioned on the flagstone patio but sized so it wouldn’t take up the entire patio surface.
By reserving some usable patio space outside the screened porch, they’ll still be able to sit out on the patio when conditions are right. When mosquitoes are biting, however, or when they need protection from direct sun or rain showers, they’ll enjoy the screened porch immensely.
Archadeck of Austin designed and built this beautiful screened porch to look completely original to the home – always one of our objectives! The porch features white trim and a white wood ceiling with skylights.
Many clients don’t realize that adding a shade structure onto the back of a home reduces the amount of natural light coming into the home. Most consider this a small sacrifice for the pleasure of having a screened porch! Adding skylights in the porch roof is a way to keep some of the natural light the home would otherwise lose. We designed this porch roof with an open gable at one end, another way to let in more natural light. The open gable also adds a feeling of spaciousness inside the porch.
The Perfect Screened Porch for Each Client: It’s in the Details
The clients requested two screen doors in the porch instead of just one. These custom fiberglass screen doors came from Coppa Woodworking in California. Additional details you may notice here are the ceiling fan and the string of festive lights inside the porch. We include electrical wiring on jobs that feature a roof so clients can enjoy some of their indoor comforts, outdoors. As you can see, no detail was overlooked!
A wise man once said, “the difference between something good and something great is attention to detail.” We agree! Careful craftsmanship and attention to detail are extremely important to us at Archadeck of Austin. These qualities shine through our work, in all the types of outdoor living structures we design and build.
Does your vision for your home include a new, updated or expanded outdoor living space? Is adding a screened porch on your to-do list? Archadeck of Austin can custom design a screened porch, open porch, or patio cover to keep you out of the sun. Call Archadeck of Austin today at 512-259-8282 or email us to schedule your free design consultation.
Covered Porch Addition in Pflugerville, TX, Shows Archadeck of Austin Does Whatever it Takes to Make Your Outdoor Living Dreams Come True
Looks can be deceiving, we all know that, and the saying certainly applies to this sweet covered porch addition we built for our clients in Pflugerville, Texas. The results are delightful and offer the homeowners a relaxing place to sit, lounge and dine outdoors. Their new porch gives them a space that’s protected from sun and rain and is illuminated for nighttime enjoyment. To say we made it look easy would be an understatement.
In a nutshell, this covered porch addition had a very complicated roof tie-in. To the uninitiated, it may not look like a big deal. Builders and remodelers, however, will immediately notice this was a complex job. The offset of the rooflines was the primary issue. We needed to tie together the new roof (the porch cover) with three connection points on the original roof to facilitate the addition of a roofed outdoor structure. Porch builder Archadeck of Austin was up to the task. We love a challenge!
Out With The Old …
- We demolished the home’s small, concrete patio.
- We removed the overhang above the back door.
- We removed the soffit to allow for the installation of the roof rafters.
- We removed the existing single back door and window into the dining area.
- We removed a portion of the siding around the back door.
We poured a new, larger concrete patio.
- In place of the original overhang, we used 8 x 8 support posts and heavy beams that we could tie into the existing wall.
- We built ridge walls up so they would extend into the ceiling.
- For the roof tie-in, we built up the wall to carry the load of the beam that would tie into the roof.
- We installed the new roof in a way that gave us enough room for a high ceiling area over the porch.
- We built a new overhang and used the same type of shingles that are on the existing roof.
- We installed a new header over the back door and a new Therma-Tru double door system featuring energy-efficient Low-E glass.
- Once the new door was in, we replaced the siding with Hardieplank siding to seal the wall.
- We installed Hardieboard siding on the interior of the covered porch.
- We used Hardie wrap for the new beams, support posts, soffit and fascia.
- We installed a beautiful beadboard ceiling and painted it blue!
- We painted the support posts white to match the house and painted everything else to make it all look brand new.
- We installed electrical wiring in the new porch roof for a ceiling fan and outdoor lighting.
- We scored the new concrete patio in a 24″ tile pattern with a walnut-colored border and outside edge for contrast.
- We installed a ceiling fan and four can lights in the porch’s beadboard ceiling.
- We installed sconce light fixtures on the outside of the two support posts.
About That Beautiful, New Double Door System …
The new double door makes better use of the space than the original back door and dining room window did. Haven’t we all had situations where we needed to bring something larger than a single door into or out of the house? The new door also updates the look of the back of the house. In that regard, the design impact of this door replacement is huge!
The Therma-Tru double door system features Low-E glass and a low-rise threshold. The door’s energy-efficient Low-E glass helps reduce the loss of heat in cold weather by reflecting heat back into the home. In warm weather, the sun’s rays reflect off of the Low-E glass, helping to keep the home cool inside.
About that Blue Porch Ceiling …
Blue porch ceilings have an interesting history. The practice of painting a porch ceiling blue seems to have begun in the South, but these days you can find them in all regions of the country. Folklore mixes with facts when it comes to explanations for this phenomenon.
- In the Low Country of South Carolina, “haint blue” porch ceilings mimicking the color of water were used to keep out “haints” – meaning ghosts, apparitions or lost souls – because these spirits were unable to cross water.
- In Oregon, porch ceilings painted a shade called Aurora blue were associated with the Aurora Colony, a Christian communal society founded by emigrants, primarily German and Swiss, in the 1850s.
- In New England, the color of a blue sky was used on Victorian porch ceilings to reflect colors found in nature. On gray days, a blue ceiling reminded residents that they would see brighter days ahead.
- Finally, in some areas homeowners believed a blue porch ceiling would trick birds and insects into believing they had reached the sky, thereby discouraging them from building nests in the ceiling. In reality, these early blue paints were often made with milk and lye, and lye does repel insects. The milk paint faded and needed to be repainted each year, or every few years. A new coat of lye probably did keep insects away.
This is what we know: blue is considered a calming color and is associated with peace and relaxation. What better color to frame your new covered porch where you plan to spend countless hours relaxing and basking in nature’s glory?
Put Archadeck of Austin to the Test. No Challenge is Too Big!
Whether you want a covered patio or a big open patio with an outdoor kitchen – or some combination of these and more, Archadeck of Austin is here for you. We are ready to design and build the outdoor living space that will make your home complete. Contact us today at 512-259-8282 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a free design consultation.
Breathtaking Ipe Deck and Porch on Rob Roy at the Lake in West Austin, TX
Rob Roy on the Lake is located north of Bee Cave Road in beautiful West Austin. The neighborhood is known for its stunning homes and spacious picturesque landscapes making it ideal for someone who likes to spend time outdoors. Archadeck of Austin has built many outdoor living structures within this neighborhood, our most recent is this beautiful deck and porch combination:
The homeowners had an existing cedar deck but were looking to not only expand their view into the valley below, but also wanted a space that offered shade to escape their super sunny location. Archadeck of Austin came up with a deck and porch combination design that entailed expanding across the roofline on the back of the home with a hip design roof tie-in to accommodate their project. Take a look at this before & after image:
The project features warm, inviting natural Ipe hardwood decking on the floor of both the deck and covered porch. Ipe is a favorite among Central Texas homeowners as a material for outdoor living. The material is valued for its density, strength, longevity and beauty. Ipe is dense enough that it sinks in water. Its density requires that it be pre-drilled in order to be fastened. When fastening an Ipe deck we use stainless steel screws called head coat screws, which are brown to blend seamlessly with the decking itself. The ends of the Ipe boards need to be treated when they are cut during installation to avoid cracking. If you are dealing with a contractor that is not familiar with working with Ipe then you usually end up with split ends, yes in much the same manner your hair can get split ends, from not treating the ends of the boards. Ipe density is also such that it doesn’t absorb much water resulting in a lack of the normal expansion and contraction evident with other wooden decks.
As you move beyond the flooring used on this combination project, there are many stunning details throughout the space. We used black Fortress vertical cable rail that allows clear views into the valley below. Additionally, the beauty continues as you enter the interior of the covered porch area. The ceiling was built using a Synergy tongue & groove prefinished wood in Auburn Pine. The large king beam that runs the expanse of the porch cover is a focal point but it also serves a valuable purpose of helping to support the weight of the roof cover.
As is the case with all our outdoor living structure projects, none of the creature comforts were overlooked when completing the space. We installed recessed lighting in the ceiling of the porch cover and mounted the elegant sconce lighting the homeowners had purchased for the project. We also installed a pair of Minka 72″ ceiling fans the homeowner’s had chosen, adding an extra layer of cool comfort and air flow to their enjoyment.
Needless to say, the clients are elated with their new outdoor living space. It embodies all the qualities they love about the area, and now they can enjoy it to its full potential! If you would like to learn more about how Archadeck of Austin can transform the way you live outdoors, contact us today at (512) 259-8282 or via email at email@example.com to schedule a free design consultation.
Enjoy endless enjoyment, no matter what the weather, with an Austin covered outdoor living space!
It’s no secret that the Austin area has experienced a wetter than usual 2016 thus far. Though Texas has always been a land of weather extremes—in 1927, an unnamed National Weather Service meteorologist famously said “Texas is a land of perennial drought, broken by the occasional devastating flood”—This summer’s most recent flooding comes just five years after the driest year on record in Texas, in which statewide rainfall was just 14.88 inches.
Our year to date rainfall for Austin sits at 34.2 inches according to the Current Results weather an science facts website. With this in mind, outdoor living and recreation for many, has been hampered by the wet weather. Archadeck of Austin wants you to know that doesn’t have to be the case. As the Austin area’s premier outdoor living structure designer and builder we can create a space that is rainproof!
Rainproof you ask? Yes, we can custom design and build a protected outdoor living space that will keep you dry in spite of what Mother Nature has in mind. We specialize in covered porches & patios, screened porches and custom outdoor rooms built to keep you enjoying the outdoor lifestyle, fresh air and views without the worry of inclement weather, insects or allergens. Take a look at a few of our outdoor room designs to give you an idea of what we can do for you:
Add value to your home and enhance your outdoor experience with a covered porch or patio from Archadeck of Austin. Our custom porch and patio covers are designed to protect you overhead without reducing your connection with the outdoors. From simple covered porches to complete outdoor entertainment areas, our porch and patio covers will transform your home from the outside in.
A screened porch provides a safe, private space for your family to enjoy the outdoors all year long. Whether you need screening for insect control, weather resistance, or something in between, we can customize the perfect screened porch to suit your needs.
Give your family a sunny disposition no matter what the weather and reduce your heating/cooling bills with a new custom sunroom. Dollar-for-dollar, a sunroom can be the best investment you make in your home. Sunrooms make a spectacular visual splash and a perfect gathering spot, yet they can be one of the most affordable rooms to construct. It’s an easy, budget-friendly way to add both natural light and value to your home. When it comes to designing a custom sunroom, our trained designers will visit your home, discuss your needs and wants and design a sunroom that’s perfect for you.
If you are ready to enjoy the unbridled benefits of outdoor living while keeping dry. Contact Archadeck of Austin today at (515) 259-8282 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a free design consultation.
Top 6 Reasons a Professional Austin Outdoor Living Space Builder is Worth the Wait!
Choosing a reliable, professional outdoor living structure company can be difficult, and how can you really make sure they are the right company for you? Custom design, over 16 years in the Austin market and attention to quality and detail are all important factors to consider.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, neither should your anticipated outdoor living addition. Keep in mind, that quality and true craftsmanship require time and expertise. With this in mind, here are the top 6 reasons choosing Archadeck of Austin for your outdoor living space endeavor is definitely worth the wait…
- Better Building by Design – The design of an outdoor structure isn’t just about a layout and the build. The design of an outdoor structure is a reflection of your personality. It is an extension of the way you live your outdoor lifestyle and see yourself living in that space. Choosing a builder that will custom design your project and match your needs to every last detail will have you feeling thankful you waited.
- Enjoy for years to come – Getting your outdoor space completed in time to enjoy the season is a common concern. But what about the following seasons and countless years to come? From graduations, bridal or baby showers to becoming the family gathering hub, this outdoor living space is going to be appreciated year after year. So give it the time it deserves to be built and know that it is all worth the wait to get the perfect family space to enjoy for many years to come.
- Outstanding Project Management – A project build has a lot of moving parts. With a experienced project manager your build will progress smoothly and on schedule. A lot of the time, other teams have to be brought in to get part of the job completed. This can include plumbers, painters, electricians, roofing contractors and many more. The right project management team will ensure your outdoor structure(s) are completed within the time frame of your build in mind.
- High Quality Builders – Research to find a professional Austin deck, porch or patio builder is apart of the process. What do the most trusted sites have to say about the company? Do their reviews hold up to the standard you’re looking for in a builder? They absolutely should. Archadeck of Austin is proud to have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and Archadeck of Austin was awarded a Best of Houzz service award in 2016.
- Understanding Restrictions and Keeping You Safe – A set back in design or build can always have a solution if you’re working with the right professional builder. Archadeck’s national design team assists in the engineering of your project. Keeping your safety as a main focus, assistance to determine how much weight a column or beam can hold based off the soil in your yard is just one example of how the national design team lends a hand.
- Whichever way you look; we’ve got your back – No matter the project, you –the customer will be in trusted hands with Archadeck of Austin. Your project will be backed by three national warranties. The first is the Workmanship Warranty which covers defects within the material used such as splitting, severe warping, leaking roofs or shifting patio pavers. The second warranty will cover defects within the structural components and is what we refer to as the Structural Warranty. Footings, patio base material, columns, beams and joint are a few structural components included on the warranty. Last but not least, any manufactured items will be covered under the terms of the Manufactured Warranty including pressure treated lumber, windows, pavers or any outdoor kitchen components.
Remember these top 6 reasons it is worth the wait when choosing an Austin outdoor living space builder. Contact Archadeck of Austin at (515) 259-8282 to schedule a free design consultation today or via email at email@example.com.